Cannock Chase Mountain Bike Centre has 2 Red mountain bike trails known as Follow The Dog and The Monkey Trail (with black sections). There is also a green and 2 blue graded trails.
The Five Way descent on the Monkey trail was added in July 2014. It has rock gardens, berms, singletrack and boardwalks.
At the end of November 2014, a new black rocky descent section called The Head Banger on the Let Loose section was added on the Follow The Dog trail. Nearby is also a set of sister downhill trails in Stile Cop known as Stile Cop Downhill (just off Stile Cop road).
Follow the Dog (Red)
- Follow the Dog at Cannock Chase is a red graded 6.7 miles (10km) intermediate mountain bike trail aimed at competent mountain bikers. Opened in 2005 the trail was completely designed and built by Chase Trails and more recently additional sections have been added including the all new Tackeroo descent which was built as part of the contractor works to the Monkey Trail and was opened in April 2010.
- The Head Banger is a short black-graded section that opened at the very end of November 2014. It is near the start of Let Loose, with two boardwalks and a rock qualifier, and technically challenging rock garden.
The Monkey Trail (Red with Black Options)
- This opened in April 2010 and the Monkey Trail and it joins the Follow the Dog half way round. Again it’s a red graded trail but this time it’s a more technically challenging and demanding trail. It is 7.4 miles long but put together with the Follow the Dog it is just over 14 miles long and includes bigger climbs, more technical descents and optional black graded lines. The trail is intended for the experienced and technically competent rider. Some of the renowned sections to look out for are Rainbow Valley, Over the Rainbow, Deerskull, Pot of Gold and Roller Coaster. The Monkey Trail can be ridden by starting Follow the Dog to approximately half way.
- Chase Trails have built a new 1km long descent on the Monkey Trail that launched in July 2014 called the Five Ways Descent.
- There is also a Green graded trail suitable for families and beginners called The Fairoak Trail (4km).
- There is the Sherbrook Blue graded trail which has two loop choices. The 12km Pepper Slade Loop and the 20km Abraham's Valley Loop. These are mostly fire road.
Stile Cop Downhill
- A number of red and black graded short downhill runs making good use of the 65-metre hill. All of the runs end in the same place at the bottom of the hill. There is no uplift service but it is only 10 mins to push up.
Groups and Clubs
- One of the things that makes Cannock special is that the trails are built and maintained by volunteer trail building group Chase Trails. The volunteers meet most Sundays and do some fantastic work. Some of their links are:
Chase Trails Facebook Page
- Stile Cop Facebook Page
- Cannock Chase is a Forestry commission trail centre. Check out the FC Cannock details here.
- If you have ridden any of these trails at Cannock Chase or Stile Cop Downhill then why not share your experience with us and write a short review, post a picture, video or favourite the trail.