Castlewellan Mountain Bike Trails are located just under 50 km from Belfast and 6.5 km from Newcastle in Northern Ireland. Castlewellan has green, blue and red grade trails (latter includes black options). There is also a pretty big pump track.Castlewellan is a scenic venue seeing as the backdrop is shared with a castle, epic views and a lake.
There are plans for further development and the consultation process for phase II to define these kicked off in January 2014. In essence, the current thinking by trail designer Dafydd Davis, Mourne Council and the tourist board is 11 km of new MTB trails a Skills Park and walking trails.
- 7km red (difficult)
- 1km black (severe)
- 4 km blue (moderate) to appeal to the wider beginner/family market
- Skills Trail – made up of red loops off the blue trail
The first draft of plans have been proposed as part of the consultation and more detailed plans are due to be finished by April, which will then need to go through a planning and funding process. Aim is to have the new build in place by September 2014
Red Trail (with black options)
- The red trail is 19km long and is characterised by flowing singletrack, fun descents and can be rocky in places The red and blue start together then split. The red descent down Slievenaslat has a black more technical option. Another more technical black option 'Dolly's Chute' comes later also.
- The blue trail is a short 4.5km track. It runs along the lake and woodland on singletrack and returns via the green trail. Expect gentle rollers and flowing singletrack.
- The green trail is 4km in length. It runs in a loop around the lake with the castle in view. Mostly flat and quite wide. Family friendly.
- The Castlewellan Pump track has many rollers and berms with multiple lines and choices.
Groups and Clubs
- Check out our Northern Ireland Mountain Bike Trails section for other great NI trails.
- Chain Reaction Cycles are sponsors of this trail.
- If you have ridden the mountain bike trails at Castlewellan then why not share your experiences with us and post some pictures, videos or a review to the listing.