Gawton Gravity Hub and Tavi-Woodlands downhill mountain biking tracks are two specific bases run by the volunteer club Gawton Gravity Hub (previously known as Woodland Riders). Both MTB downhill bases are in the South West of England, near Tavistock, West Devon.
These trails offer over 500ft of descent. There are five - six tracks incorporating a range of reds up to black graded trails and the terrain is a mixture of flowing single track to root laden, rocky, steep and technical descent. The uplift is run by Fly Up Downhill. In April 2016 they opened the Rattler (Track 5) a new jump line and a neat pump track. In March 2017 they launched Mega Tavi a new steep downhill line.
Both the riding areas are on private land which is leased from the Landowners and so, as a result, you must be a member to ride at either location. The club is affiliated to, and insured by, British Cycling.
HSD Red Track
- The HSD track is graded red, is one mile long and has a vertical drop of 440 feet. It's the most popular downhill track here and has a selection of multi-hit lines that are flowing. It's popular with all ability levels and is a good downhill trail for the beginner downhiller.
Proper Job Double Red Track
- The Proper Job double red graded track is a recently completed trail. It is 0.8 miles long and has 450 feet of vertical drop for you to play with. It's feature intensive and has big berms and steep descents.
Super Tavi Black Track
- The Super Tavi track is graded black and is an extreme track. It is 0.7 miles long and has 500 feet of vertical drop.
- New steep downhill line (starts off on Super Tavi) and cuts off before the second road gap. Allegedly, the steepest trail in England.
Egypt Double Black Track
- The Egypt double black graded track is 0.5 miles in length and has 380 feet of vertical drop. It has a reputation for being one of the hardest tracks in the UK. The terrain is rooty, steep and rocky.
The Rattler (Jump 5)
- A jump line that joins into Super Tavi.
Valhalla (Black) - Under Construction
- Planned for Mar 2018
Rooty Rutz (Red) - Under Construction
- Planned for Mar 2018
- There is also a progressive pump track on the site now.
- Tavi-Woodlands has a load of variety and the tracks all kind of intermingle in a good way giving you endless choices. The best bit is every level of rider is catered for. These are the reasons the area is so special to riders. Some of the famed track names are Wooded, Corkscrew, Kris, Krash, Gnarkill, Joblot, Man, Scotsman and The Tamar Trail.
- There is also a new, flowy jump line called "Avalanche" now at Tavi woods.
Membership and Day Passes
- You must be able to provide proof of Membership/day membership at all times when at Gawton Gravity Hub or Tavi-Woodlands. Membership and day passes along with further information can be obtained from the website at www.gawtongravityhub.co.uk.
If you need to purchase a day pass to ride at Gawton or Woodland's, these are the options:
1. Purchase one online, link below: This is the easiest option and do print it out. This print-out acts as your parking ticket if you don't want to pay for parking at Gawton. If it's not displayed then you can receive a parking fine from the council as it's there car park & yes they do come every day, twice a day to check cars. http://www.gawtongravityhub.co.uk/member…/daypass-online.php
2. Purchase in person from the hut at around 11.30 onward from Carol, only on Saturday and Sunday.
3. Purchase in person from RockinBikes:
Unit 7+8, Harrowbeer Mews
Phone: 01822 258022
4. Purchase in person from Red Brick Cycles:
New Victoria House
Weston Park Rd
Phone: 01752 603526
- Uplift is run by FlyUp Downhill
- Check out the Facebook Group
- If you have ridden any of these track at Gawton Gravity Hub or Tavi-Woodlands then please share your experiences with the community and upload your pictures, videos and/or leave a review to the listing.
- Also, why not check out the iBikeRide Index of the Top UK Trails to see where Gawton is ranked.