The Fire Tower mountain bike trails are in Lochgilphead in West Argyll in Scotland. There is a bit of a mix for everyone with a selection of red and black sections. The singletrack is narrow and flowing, there is a lot of rock, berms, jumps, drops and the descents are tough in the same way the downs are super rewarding.
In Winter 2014 it received significant upgrade work and is now mostly open but some sections remain closed and are due for maintenance soon i.e. the Murder Hill, Kev's Chicane and Tree Town sections.
Fire Tower Trail
- The main loop begins at main loop starts from the Achnabreac car park and is 19km long (about 7.5km of pure singletrack in this). There are also two other start points at Kilmichael Glassary and Lochgilphead.
- The Fire Tower’s main highlights are known as the Twisted Fire Starter which is a short black technical section and the Quarry Drop (both have alternative options). There is also the Water Splash (yes you will likely get wet so waterproof socks recommended) and they have a decent optional North Shore section. The views are meant to be awe inspiring by the Tower itself. Something for everyone.
- It is called the Fire Tower mountain bike trail as there is a big tower at the top where folk would watch out for fires.
- Trail Map
- There’s a choice of 3 starting points for the Fire Tower Trail:
- Achnabreac. Park in the Forestry Commission car park (Grid ref NR852909) just off the A816 Oban-Lochgilphead road.
- Kilmichael Glassary. Park in the village and cycle, or drive over the River Add bridge (700m past the village), then turn right onto the forest track and park at the far end (Grid ref NR866938).
- Lochgilphead. Park in the town and cycle up to the Blarbuie Road end (Grid ref NR877 889) by the golf course.
Cycle Club and Groups
- If you ridden the Fire Tower mountain bike trail then why not share your experiences with us and write a short review.