England 32508
Best stay away
(Updated: June 07, 2015)
Overall rating 

Grin Factor 

Trail Variety 

Trail Quality  

Facilities 

The Malverns are best avoided. Most of the paths on the Middle and Southern section of the Hills aren't bridlepaths - and Malvern Hills bye-laws mean £3,000 fine and a criminal record in the event you are caught. The Hills are a pretty small area which is busy even at off peak times with dog-walkers, grannies and little kids. Many paths are too narrow and steep to pass safely. Biking on the Hills is a sore topic in the area and you quite often get shouted at by locals. There are wardens around and one of them uses a quad bike.

Bikes are banned from the Ridge path all along the Hills and all of British Camp (also known as Herefordshire Beacon). If you want a lot of hassle, crowded runs, and maybe a run-in with the cops, this is the place to go.

User Review

Would you recommend?
No
J
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 7 15

Comments

8 results - showing 1 - 8
Ordering
Already have an account?
March 24, 2015
Obviously a dog walker!
J
J
April 03, 2015
Bikes are actually allowed on the ridge path as it is a bridle track.
R
R
September 21, 2015
Just contemplating going for a ride on the Malvern Hills and need local folk to clarify whether it is illegal and the warden is after you on his quad bike, and after your £3000 fine... Or if it is a bridle path and actually legal...
SO PLEASE HELP BY ADDING YOUR LOCAL KNOWLEDGE for us out-of-Towners!
In the early days of MTBing I recall The Malvens being a bit of a Mecca - hence why I am hankering to have a go now I'm mobile, have a serious bike and have the time to hit the hills...
F
Felippe
September 22, 2015
In reply to an earlier comment

It's really fine. I ride there most weekends and have never had any trouble. I you want to be doubly sure then avoid peak times such as weekend afternoons
R
rich
March 28, 2017
Upate: The Malvern Hills Conservators, who own and run the Malvern Hills are currently having a bit of a purge on Illegal cycling as a result of a lot of complaints from locals and a couple of nasty injuries. They are particularly down on all fast downhill trails , none of which are legal. There are rumours of those caught being charged with criminal damage.

Special By Laws on the Malverns make almost anything that isn't a leisurely trundle, at walking pace, on a bridle path an offence - and in some places on the hills you really could get a criminal record just for riding. They have what they call a new mountain biking policy Link: http://www.malvernhills.org.uk/Content/Cycling%20code%20of%20conduct.pdf - though it's pretty clear nothing that anyone else would think of as mountain biking is permitted under it. Plenty of bigger, better places to go which are more fun and less hassle.
J
Jon
March 28, 2017

Only bits of the northern section of the ridge are bridle paths, a small part of the middle and none of the south. Previous Conservators policy banned all cycling on the ridge, this has been relaxed, but only under the conditions that everyone always gives way to the (many) walkers.
J
Jon
March 28, 2017

Don't have a dog - but was bitten by one - on the Malverns!
J
Jon
September 11, 2018
It's quite obvious you're a walker who wants to keep cyclists away. Here is proper information for anyone wondering http://www.malvernhills.org.uk/visiting/cycling/
Quote "Cyclists are welcome to explore the Malvern Hills and Commons on the bridleways that cross this landscape. With over 56km of bridleways there are hilltops, wooded slopes and open commons to get to know."
D
Dav
8 results - showing 1 - 8