Gwydir Mawr formerly known as the Marin with its smaller sibling the Gwydir Bachare two trails in Gwydir Forest in North Wales. Mawr is Welsh for big or large, bach means small. Gwydir is the name of the forest. It is a red graded MTB trail for intermediate riders and is located just outside the MTB base of Betws y Coed. It is just down the road from its sister trail the Penmachno which is another red trail well worth a visit. There is a new fun car park section that links the last Singletrack sections. There are multiple lines and a road right alongside so it's easy to session.
- This is a 25km red route. It has an 800 metres climb and takes around 2-4 hours to complete. The course is fast and rocky with a mix of tight and technical as well as open and flowing sections. Views are great, the up's are mainly fire road and the descents all singletrack.
- In April 2016 a new 2km section was added, It's a mix of narrow hand dug trail and more modern features with berms, rollers, and jumps. Kicks off as an up and down traverse and weaves it's way carefully past an old heritage site before dropping off on its first descent. Then you're quickly thrown into a challenging twelve switchback climb, which gives the section its name 'Dwsin Drwg' Bad Dozen! Catch your breath before you hit the final fast, feature rich descent.
- The trail starts at a small car park but remember there are no toilet or facilities so come prepared.
- Gwydir Bach, great for when you're short on time or just want a quick blast. It is red graded and 8.7km long with 350 metres of climbing between taking between 45 minutes to1.5 hours to complete.
- If you have ridden the Gwydir Mawr or Gwydir Bach mountain bike trails then why not share your experiences with us and please write a review, post your pictures and videos.