Review Detail

Red and Black Trails
Overall rating 

Grin Factor 

Trail Variety 

Skills Development 

Trail Quality  

Facilities 

In terms of difficulty the first time round the red I remember feeling it was easier than Dalbeattie Red but harder than Glentress Red so it may prove tougher if you have only ridden Glentress however it is still fully of flowy single track and exciting descents peppered with fun features. The main shouting point for Kirroughtree is the Black grade Black Craig's route for which I was nervous at first as it was to be my first black trail but from then on I have seen a vast improvement in my riding through the boosting of my confidence all brought about by this one trail. Various parts of the black trail are wide and allow you to experiment with line choice which is a very important skill to develop. There are several tough and often technical climbs which are well rewarded. Bear in mind I rode the whole black route on a hardtail - a Specialized Rockhopper that ultimately cracked in 3 places - so I imagine it is best to ride it on either a high end hardtail or preferably a full suspension bike.
The skills loops at Kirroughtree are getting an idea of the kind of features you will encounter on the different levels of trail.
Also if you are trying to get to all the stanes (for photos ect.) the Gem Stane is enroute for at least most of the trails and in a nice spot by a wee pond/lochan.
Bottom line is Kirroughtree is great

User Review

Good Points
Great fun
Technical and challenging
Good for developing skills
Great sense of being in the wild especially at the far end of the black trail
Would you recommend?
Yes
T
Top 50 Reviewer 10 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0