Review Detail

Excellent trail
Overall rating 

Grin Factor 

Trail Variety 

Skills Development 

Trail Quality  

Facilities 

Located at the top of the lakes, Whinlatter is bloody miles away from everything (ie the south) but what it lacks in ease of access it makes up for in quality riding.
Whinlatter is a "proper" mountain trail - its steep, rocky, cold, wet, fast, rooty, techy, and then covers it all with epic views over the Scottish hills on one side and the lakes on the other. The quality of the trails are simply outstanding. Having ridden at the blown out braking bumps of Cannock a few weeks prior, this was like another world. Yes, the climbs are tough, and possibly it could do with a few more options (either black lines or additional red routes) but the downhills more than make up for it. The climb for the south side trail was brutal, but the descent was one of the best I've ridden in recent memory. FWIW I rode a 29er XC bike and was in no way under biked despite the rocky nature of start of the final downhill.
I'd definatley go back if I was in the area again.
Cafe / changing facilities were good, the only downside was the cost of parking which increases every 20 mins(!) after 2 hours.

User Review

Good Points
Great quality trail
Tough climb
Epic views
Decent cake
Bad Points
Parking costs
Miles away from civilisation
Would you recommend?
Yes
O